Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Eva.

Today, my Eva turns three. I had her at 5:01 p.m. after something like fourteen hours of labor and thirty one minutes of pushing. (TMI?) There may be a day when I feel like telling that story, but today is not that day. She was giant. Her head was huge and she weighed 9lbs 10oz. She was delightful.
Except that the kid did not sleep. And she was the clingiest child ever.
All of those things still hold true. She is marvelous. She is loving and sweet, but does not want you to cuddle her or touch her too much. She does not like a lot of people, but the people she likes she LOVES. She is cleverer than you want a kid her age to be. She is funny and too smart. Her use of language is both hilarious and fantastic. The kid knows how to turn a phrase.
She also still does not sleep worth a damn.
I am, according to her, her best friend. And that is my favorite role in the world right now.
Because at three, it's awesome to have Mommy be your best friend. And, as a Mommy to a three year old (who stubbornly has been calling you Mom lately....) it's awesome to be her best friend.
When gets a little older, I will no longer have the role of best friend. And that's how it should be. But, for now, I adore that title.

1 comment: